Thursday, September 15, 2011

Trains, Planes and Motorbikes

I was sitting alone in a cabin on a train in the middle of a foreign country looking out the window as the great city of Bangkok melted away in the distance. A storm was brewing in the east sending streaks of lightning across the sky creating a dreamlike ambiance that could never be fully explained in words but that can only be experienced. Then I was thinking to myself, “Wait a second...I'm sitting in a train, in a foreign country, alone...with my computer, video camera, some clothes, some books, and a pocket full of baht (Thai Currency)...IS THIS REAL!!!”

You see, as a boy I had always dreamed of traveling the world and going on grand adventures. Then as a teenager my dream grew up with me, instead of just traveling for the sake of adventure I wanted to travel to do the most important thing a person can do, that is, share the good news of Jesus. I wanted to be a missionary...and now I'm actually doing it and its all because the grace of God.

Ten days ago is when I arrived in Chiang Mai and met up with James Hla who is the man I'll be working with while in Thailand. He showed me to the place I would be staying and talked with me about my plans. It turns out I'll be teaching English in a small town called Mae Si and also be working with the youth there.

Tomorrow I will go to Mae Si for the first time with a friend of mine who I met about a week ago, his nickname is NaNa...I can't remember what it means. We will go together to preach on Sunday and fellowship with the youth there. So if you want to know what to pray about, pray that God would speak through me on Sunday and allow me to love the youth with the love of Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment